The objectives of Somali Community Advancement Organisation are:
- To promote the benefit of Somali Citizens living, primarily in Wandsworth London by the advancement of education and training, the relief of poverty, sickness and distress and the pursuit of other charitable purposes beneficial to the Somali Community primarily living in Wandsworth, in particular through the provision of advice, information and other services
- Providing targeted and customised programmes which support the aims e.g. education and health development
- Establishing and delivering a range of ‘self help’ initiatives
- Encouraging individuals to learn English for better communication
- Providing support and help to parents, so that they may then support and help their children in school
- Encouraging children to take part in recreational and social activities available in the wider community
- Providing help and support to isolated elderly men and women to enable them to socialise, develop self help networks and share their culture.
SCAO’s core values are to :
- Develop programmes whereby the Somali community can participate and promote self-help which brings together the Somali community to ensure that they have opportunities on an equal basis to other communities which are regularly denied
- Ensure that all services are delivered to the highest quality
- Ensure that service users can participate in the development of their own programmes
- Engage in partnership with the broader 3rd and statutory sectors to develop a joined up approach to benefit Somali and other communities
- Ensure equality within the Somali community as regards access to all age groups, both genders and for those with varying levels of skills – we want them all to benefit from the work of SCAO on an equal basis, particularly those groups which have traditionally experienced exclusions form programmes e.g. older people.